Sunday, October 11, 2009

Car Trouble

The bright side: the car trouble happened at a good time and place. I was intending to go from the DC suburb of "Upper Marlboro" in Maryland to Connecticut tonight, and then on to Boston tomorrow night so that I could go to Harvard on Monday. My nightly stays are in part determined by where I can bid a low hotel price on priceline.com. I thought since I've never been to New York City, and since today's drive was only going to be less than 6 hours, that I would "drive through" NYC. I am staying longer than intended: my car is losing its oil through a bad oil pan gasket. I was actually in the tunnel coming into NYC when the oil light flashed just briefly. Just outside the tunnel, it flashed again. I knew it was a problem because yesterday I had put two quarts of oil in after the car had run out of oil. Losing two quarts in one day is bad! So I entered "Auto service" into the GPS that Emily lent me and on the 2nd try it took me to a service place that will actually be open on Saturday and Sunday. So I am staying in a NYC hostel, in a dorm with 10 people, tonight. I am having to do this on the cheap. Good that the hostel is within walking distance of the car shop.

Hope that the rest of my trip has no more misadventures.

1 comment:

Emily said...

i am glad that the car trouble happened at a rather convenience spot and close to where you stayed. Don't you love GPS now? Technology rules!