Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Missing Planets! The Participation Gap

Credit to a conference attendee
For Day 2, I started the “Outside Session” of science talks not let inside. The outside poster session, where I put the highlight of my approved poster in my sign: There are missing planets of iron-rich stars at distances that have periods of 653 to 923 days. Clear out the trash, and there are no planets there that are not going around iron-poor stars! Zero! None! Yes, of course, since there are only less than 100 iron-rich planets that I am looking at, a few will probably be found, but I show that the distribution of a double peak separated by this deep gap is better than one in a thousand confidence of being real. What's “the trash” I swept under the rug here? Any planet whose star has another star as a companion, to start with. I am not the only one to have shown that the planets of binary stars are distributed differently: I find them more mixed, showing some but not other patters. I also threw out stars that have too low of gravity, usually because they're old and getting fat, I mean, their radii are getting larger. I also restrict the temperature range to stars not too different from the sun.

I am looking a little at the other stars, the “trash”, and am already seeing them to be “one (wo)man's trans is another's treasure.” In 2013 I found an exception to the newly discovered trend of higher eccentricity among planets hosted by iron-rich stars.

It was my 2012/2013 discovery of that “eccentricity-iron” correlation, also found independently (at close to the same time) by two others (Dawson and Murray-Clay, 2013), that shifted me to study patterns in planets at all periods. Before then, I have been primarily paying attention to the populations of planets closest to the star, following the line of looking at planets going into stars, or “planet destruction.”

Now, I will go pick up a laminated version of my poster, to continue my “outside poster session.” Laminated, because a typhoon is coming, and yes I will present my poster in the rain!

Cheer me on, and please share this blog with as many friends as you can!


Astronomers: If you see me, can we take pictures together? Thanks to all those who have taken pictures!


No comments: