Monday, August 3, 2015

In Honolulu to start "Battle for Belonging" Campaign by going to IAU meeting missing reneged on support

I've made it to Honolulu where the IAU meeting starts tomorrow. I have a great presentation all ready to go. But I'll have to present my work on the street, until I get enough people to contribute to my campaign through Indiegogo Life, at https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/battle-for-belonging-attend-astronomy-conference--2/

I will be blogging about:
1. An upbeat part, why I am coming: I have great results, and
2. A challenged part, why I am going to have to stand outside the door, begging for the support necessary to go in.

My upbeat part is the discovery of a gap in the occurrence distribution of giant planets hosted by stars more iron-rich than the sun ("iron-rich" systems) that does not occur in the iron-poor system planets (where I emphasize I only refer to the iron abundance of the host stars, not of the planets, which we don't know very well yet). I published finding this gap in 2013, but only now fully present that if you cut out the systems with stellar binary companions, and cut out systems with too low of gravity (log g < 4.0) to cut out overly evolved stars (often with too large of a radius) and cut out too cool or too hot of stars, keeping 4500 < T_effective < 6500, then there a gap of zero iron-rich system planets between periods of approximately 653 and 923 days. Here is the poster. I hope I get to present it as a poster, rather than having to chop it up into pages to put into a flip chart, but if that is what it takes to present, I'll do that. Here is the poster -- but since I see it shows too small, so in the next few days, I'll stretch it out and write about what it says in this blog, as part of the process of producing a full scientific paper on it.

These results are going to have to be presented "outside the door" on the street, because of an observatory reneging on my appointment for funny reasons -- reasons that would never happen anywhere else in astronomy, anywhere with standards. Because I was stopped from finishing the projects I started by the observatory keeping data away from me and telling no one to talk to me, I have not been able to get any new job that will give standard support for me to go to the IAU conference. So I have spent (loaned my campaign) some of the last money I have for airfare and the first few days lodging, to go and beg for the support to get in, and pay myself back for travel and living expenses.

So I am coming to the door of the IAU conference with a sign begging for some few people who love science to rather than contribute to a big science project or to a prize for a scientist who already had a good salary, to contribute to a scientist with good results but who was pushed out of science by being pushed out of his good projects, which were taken away and given to new hires by LCOGT. I of course am also pressuring LCOGT to take back its responsibility of the reneged on year appointment and the loss of having promised support to finish the research necessary for me to have gotten a new job. I am showing the grant givers (NSF, NASA, etc.), telescope lease site holders, and importantly, collaborators who could put me back into collaborations that I've been forced out of by finding ways to include me in producing our group's papers.

I've got the poster board and pens to make the signs. Please support me my sharing my campaign on social media and anywhere else it might attract attention not just from people, but from the regular media as well.

As I always say when I start comedy performances, "Hot balls of gas!" because stars are all hot balls of gas. Wish me success by sharing, sharing, sharing!

Stuart

No comments: