Wednesday, August 5, 2015

How does it feel to be kept outside?

How does it feel to be left out? Take a look at these pictures by an astronomer kept out of science by other scientists. These pictures are of me being kept outside the conference,” doing a campaign to get the support to be in the conference.

I am looking for sponsors who could make the difference in whether I can do science, or if I'll have to give in and do desperation jobs that don't support doing research. There are prizes with big money, given to scientists who have already been paid well, raised by the big societies and other philanthropists. How about rewarding a scientist who will be forced to quit if no one sponsors him? My goal of presenting my work outside at the door is to get enough notice to attract sponsors: people who will crowd-fund me. I am not expecting the fellow astronomers walking in the door to contribute the big amounts that it takes (though every little couple-dollar donation builds momentum) but I am asking astronomers and people on the street to share this blog, and the link to my Indiegogo campaign.
I started my campaign on Day 1 of the IAU conference with a begging to not be kept out, asking astronomers to use social media to “share” my blog.

As I was campaigning, these pictures of myself reflected in the glass in front of the conference logo, and another in front of the registration desk, presented themselves to me. The pictures of me reflected on the outside with other astronomers on the inside illustrates one person being kept out by the group.


I must remark that having to do this is also an illustration that circumstances are too hard in astronomy, not just for me but for many others. I am of course not the only one struggling – many others tell me of having to “use their own money” though so far no one has said they're using their own money while not making any money for a long time. I hope these pictures will provoke some careful discussion of the situation of American science.  

Pardon that I post twice as once, but "Belonging" and my science of "Missing Planets" are two subjects each deserving one post.





No comments: