Saturday, February 13, 2010

Presentation at Washington DC American Astronomical Society Conference

I presented my work on observing planet destruction during a visit to Washington DC to attend and speak at the American Astronomical Society conference. I also used my flipbook to get in a 2nd presentation on my transit observation work, starting from my contributions to the TrES-3 discovery paper as LCOGT's astronomer at the telescope (Faulkes Telescope North, or FTN), and I presented my continued efforts to contribute to the global telescope observations of some of the most fascinating transits, including HD 17156 and HD 80606.

There were many exciting developments on planet migration, tidal theory, and transits that were presented.

I am grateful for kind people from couchsurfing.org for stepping in and giving me a place to stay after I have been unable to get new institutional support following the failure of the funder of LCOGT to follow through on expected support. A very kind husband and wife hosted me for two nights, and I especially enjoyed their company in those evenings. Nick is originally from Taiwan, so we shared our memories from there, since I lived in TW for two years. I practiced a little Mandarin, also with Nicolle who is also learning Mandarin.

The other nights were spent at a dorm in the Washington DC HI hostel. Most people were very nice, and I slept well every night except one. Even the worst night was not horrible, but I did wish that the roommates wouldn't continue to dry their hair until nearly midnight.

I am grateful to myself for having been a good saver and my parents who taught me to save. Credit for my support is borrowed against my future. I am grateful for American Airlines and United Airlines having good frequent flier programs where flights can actually be redeemed. A wonderful astronomer in Maryland was also kind to let me stay the night of a wonderful New Year's Eve party. The support of the AAS allowing me to volunteer in place of registration fees cannot be forgotten. I appreciate my wonderful fiancee Emily's continued patience and moral support while I seek to replace the missing publications credit with work done entirely on my own without a salary.

It was very good to interact with other astronomers and to try and regain the sense of professional community when one is a scientist without his papers credit and being kept unemployed.

No comments: