Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hilo on the "Big Island" of Hawai'i, in the state of Hawai'i, where there are many astronomers

I am grateful to many astronomers and staff in Hilo for accommodating my visit during my unexpected opportunity to visit Hilo. I enjoyed talking to several astronomers at the University of Hawai'i' at Hilo Institute for Astronomy (IfA), the Imilioa Planetarium, and the Subaru Telescope. The staff and astronomers at the Gemini telescope were doing their best but were prevented by a telescope emergency from coming out. I ran out of daytime to visit the submillimeter array and the Keck Observatory was too far away (in Waimea).

The Subaru outreach top scientitst and the outreach astronomer showed the gracious courtesy typical of Japan that clearly is adopted by Americans working there as well. Emily and I were staying at a place where there were more Japanese than any other group, so I couldn't help notice the considerate manner in which Japanese always interact with others. It strongly tends towards being very genuine.

Emily and I greatly enjoyed the happy, culturally rich visit of the Hilo area. The farmers market was the most fun of any I've been to in the U.S. We also enjoyed the natural features of such a volcanic island.

Coming: Pictures of my Hawai'i professional visits, and I'll put some nature photos on facebook.

No comments: