Saturday, February 20, 2010

Honolulu Talks and visits with astronomers and public

Had a wonderful time in Honolulu visiting the Institute of Astronomy of the University of Hawaii at Manoa, and visiting the Bishop Museum Planetarium. I talked at the planetarium on planet destruction, life in the universe, and the meaning of astronomy for humanity. I displayed my campaign to return to astronomy. I appreciate my parents for providing an opportunity to take my efforts to the most difficult state to reach that is so very important to astronomy.

The audience was a good active group with many good questions. The museum has some very nice displays, including their "science in the sphere." I enjoyed talking with the three staff members/volunteers who came that night to run the talk.

I took some good photographs of the visit and hope next week to post them.

I also presented my professional research talk to several astronomers at UH IfA. We had some good discussions particularly regarding what may happen with protoplanet destruction, and what these events might allow astronomers to learn.

No comments: