Sunday, September 27, 2009

Setting out on bold trip to claim my role in science

I leave tomorrow. I am glad to be bold, but it's scary. I am doing a national speaking tour to promote myself continuing in astronomy. My talks are ready. Not as ready as I would like -- my "observing falling planets' luminosity" paper is not published yet, with some parts still needing work. But I am going to go. An astronomer unemployed for two years must have professional contact. To do the things that it means to be a scientist: Gather data and analyze it. to go visit colleagues to understand the subject, to write up the results, and to speak in public talks about what we find. I endeavor to recreate all these pieces of a scientist's life. But of course nothing replaces not having one's salary and not having the things that I and those close to me miss out on. It does not work to job hunt in astronomy after being kept off my publication record. I will go in part to look people in the eye and tell them that these papers, the planet TrES 3 and the rest, are my work as well. I am saying I choose to continue and finish my contributions, and expect them to be recognized.

So off I go to speak on exoplanets! To speak on my purpose for being in astronomy. To connect with astronomers and the public. To improve my scientific knowledge and skills. To not allow job hunting to interfere with my progress. To be public for being the first astronomer for LCOGT and the planets, Uranian satellite mutual event, and transient science. To be a public face for exploring exoplanets!

1 comment:

NiteSkyGirl said...

WOW I'M SO FASCINATED !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would love to hear more of youe endevors wow awesome! i'm really blown away!