Monday, March 10, 2014

Revealing new worlds, the story and discovery

I have the story of my campaign to participate in science told as a metaphor of how our image of the dwarf planet Pluto will go from fuzzy to clear next year, just as my participation in science will go from fuzzy to clear as I have derived further proof of my finding that giant planets going into stars is what shapes the distribution of the large planets closest to stars.

Last week, I told my story in public with the Hong Kong Story Tellers telling the story of the history of my passion for science, using the analogy of how I was inspired to see new worlds go from fuzzy to clear as a statement on how I now struggle to make my participation in science become clear.

I post this story here:  http://youtu.be/YFHVrPucoGI,

I talk about how my interest in space started with being fascinated by the
art in a 2nd grade science book. The otherworldly vistas of what it must look
like on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn (and others) captured my childhood
imagination, driving me to the library to find read photographs of these
moons, only to be disappointed to find the only real pictures showed
these moons as only tiny dots. But this was the best time in history for
a disappointed child: it wasn't called the space age without good reason.

I chronicled the unveiling of poster-size pictures of this planets in
parallel with my own journey in science, leading to me studying exoplanets.
I make the parallel of me staying in even being unemployed, with the
picture of my participation made fuzzy.

I lead up to the other accomplishment: My discovery that planets must
be going into the star, like the proverbial lemmings marching over a cliff.
I have now derived the math that shows that the rate of planets going into
the star is so low that this ``planet flow'' must be what is shaping the
distribution of the inner-most giant planets, the planets with the shortest
periods, even periods less than one day.

For now, until I finish writing my paper on planet flow,
I have posted the equation on a popular physics forum: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=665721

Cheer me on to take back my participation in science!
I am campaigning to promote the idea that sharing
participation is the purpose of science, because
participation is the purpose of life!

No comments: