Friday, December 13, 2013

Seeking sponsors: Campaign for participation kickoff speech

I am presenting my project on "planets going into stars" at a public talk that I arranged and am even paying for the rent myself. I am seeking philanthropic support first to go to the American Astronomical Society scientific meeting and second to have time to finish my paper.

Presenting my research and campaign in a talk has been an all-out effort, from practicing my talk at several Toastmasters clubs as well as to friends and family. It has been hard to put together a talk that is both about my campaign for participation and about my research findings, but I believe I have done it by presenting my history of seeking to be part of finding new planets, and then interpreting the patterns that have shown up now that we have over 1000 confirmed planets, as well as thousands of candidate planets from Kepler.

The first thing I will do after my talk is to develop a polished means crowdfunding better than my "donate" button on this blog or asking people to contact me. Contacting me right now is the best means for a "major supporter" to donate for me to go to the scientific meeting in early January and to finish my paper. I will post whether I choose to go through Kickstarter, Rockethub, or another crowdsourcing website.

Getting support in this manner is a sort of research itself. I hope to prove the value of public speaking by giving a bold and interesting talk tonight!

No comments: